Peterhof is a Russian Versailles which is famous for its fountains located in a picturesque park on the shores of the Gulf of Finland.
The Grand Peterhof Palace occupies the dominant position of the Peterhof ensemble composition, connecting the Upper garden and the Lower park
The Catherine Palace attracts millions of tourists every year with its famous Amber room and an impressive landscape park.
Our private tour includes skip-the-line tickets which will help you to avoid a two-hour queue for each museum, moreover, a personal English-speaking guide will immerse you in the atmosphere of 18th-century imperial Russia and tell you about the traditions and events of a bygone era.
History of palaces
The Catherine Palace is a former imperial palace, the official summer residence of three Russian monarchs – Catherine I, Elizabeth Petrovna and Catherine II. The palace is located 26 km south of the center of St. Petersburg. The building was founded in 1717 by order of the Russian Empress Catherine I and it was named after the Empress. During the 18th century, it was rebuilt several times and its modern form represents a late Baroque style. In Soviet times a museum was opened in the palace.
Empress Catherine the Great employed the Scotish architect Charles Cameron, who constructed the personal apartments pf the Empress
Peterhof is a county residence of Russian tsars on the southern shore of the Gulf of Finland, 29 kilometers to the west of St. Petersburg.
The grand opening of Peterhof took place on August 15, 1723
The author, who determined the basis of the composition of the architectural ensemble, was Peter I. According to his plan, on the one hand, Peterhof was supposed to be compared in magnificence with the most famous royal residences in Europe, and on the other hand, to become a triumphal monument of the successful completion of the struggle of Russia for access to the Baltic Sea.
The fountains had an essential role to play in the design of the complex, Peter I himself led their design and construction. The tsar invited the best masters of fountain business and engineers from Russia and European countries to carry out his plans.
In the morning of the first day of the tour, your guide will meet you in the hotel lobby and you will get a Mercedes car with a personal driver, then you will go to Peterhof Palace. In Peterhof you will go to the building of the Grand Palace without passing through the huge lines. There you will have an opportunity to appreciate the luxury and atmosphere that surrounded Peter the Great three centuries ago.
The Peterhof Palace-ensamble along with the Catherine Palace and the city center of St Petersburg is recognized as a UNESCO World Heritage Site
A visit to the palace lasts about an hour after that you will go to the Lower Park with the famous fountains, the jewel of which is a large Cascade. In the center of this fountain complex, there is a fountain depicting Samson tearing the lion’s jaws. Up next, we have a picturesque walk along the Gulf of Finland with lunch at a restaurant located right in the park.
After that, a personal driver will take you to the city of Pushkin, where the Catherine Palace is located. Here for an hour, you can admire the impressive thematic halls made in the style of Catherine’s baroque decorated with paintings and gold. There is also the famous Amber Room – a gift from King of Prussia to Peter the First.
Within an hour you can see the beauty of one of the best landscape parks in Europe. After such a busy day a personal driver in a comfortable car will take you directly to your hotel or any other places that you specify.
- 10 a.m. departure from the hotel to Peterhof
- 11.20 a.m. entrance to the Grand Palace
- 12.20 – 2.30 p.m. walk in the lower park + lunch in the park
- 2.40 – 3.40 p.m. road to Pushkin
- 4 p.m. Entrance to the Catherine Palace
- 5.20 – 6.00 p.m. Walk in the park
- 7 p.m. Return to the city
Why do you need to book this tour?
Peterhof and the Catherine Palace are the best country summer imperial residences. This visit helps to get a better understanding of the history and spirit of the Russian Empire of the 18th century and you will have an opportunity to appreciate the impressive architecture of those times.
Benefits of this tour
- A personal driver and skip the line tickets will save a huge amount of your time that you can spend on relaxation or other visits.
- You don’t have to choose between the imperial residences and compare which one is better – visit both.
- Personal tour guide will make your visit exciting and informative – you will have a better understanding of the mysterious Russian soul.
- Both residences are on the Must Visit Place list – a win-win option confirmed by millions of tourists from all over the world
Ordering this tour with us you can be sure that everything will be at the highest level. Our guides annually pass certification for the right to conduct excursions in these museums and our many years of experience allows us to create the ideal route that will make your stay in St. Petersburg as efficient and casual as possible.
Advice and recommendations
- Please pay attention that Monday is the day off in Peterhof, and in Catherine’s Palace it’s Tuesday.
- You can absolutely free of charge add to this tour a visit to the most beautiful metro stations. To do this you need to just write when you book the tour that you would like to have a metro tour. In this case, the tour starts half an hour earlier and you will go down the metro on the way from the hotel to Peterhof. At the Narvskaya metro station, you will have time to look around then you will see the Kirovsky Zavod and Avtovo which are ones of the most beautiful metro stations in the world. And right after your driver will pick you up at the metro exit to take you to Peterhof.
- From October 14 fountains are turned off in Peterhof until spring. It becomes a little less attractive and much more affordable – there are three times less tourists.
- This is a very eventful visit and in spite of a comfortable personal car and a guide that will help you to avoid common mistakes – at the end of the day you are most likely to get tired. This is not the best day to plan significant events for the evening, for example, viewing the opening of the bridges
- There are squirrels in Peterhof. If you want to feed them you can give them nuts with your hands – make sure you have the nuts in advance.
- Shooting without a flash is allowed everywhere except the amber room. Charge your cameras – there will be many beautiful shots.
This tour is suitable for people who want to visit the most interesting classical sights of St. Petersburg without experiencing disappointment and without wasting time
This is a very busy program, so we can recommend booking a short half-hour tour of the most beautiful stations of the St. Petersburg metro at the beginning of the tour on the way to Peterhof. It is absolutely free and very interesting. You can rest or visit a good restaurant in the evening. We will be happy to help you to choose the best place to dine out. We strongly recommend not visiting late performances/shows and viewing opening of bridges after this tour.
- Personal driver
- Personal tour guide
- Skip the line tickets to Peterhof Palace and Lower park
- Skip the line tickets to Catherine Palace, Amber Room & Park
- Lunch in the lower park
- Tips to your guide and driver