On the shore of the Gulf of Finland, 30 km from St. Petersburg, one of the most visited museums-preserves – Peterhof — is located. This summer imperial residence appeared on the initiative of Peter the Great at the beginning of the XVIII century.
Today, more than 4 million tourists choose Peterhof for a visit. The reasons for the popularity of one of the most famous attractions of the Capital of Russian Culture are:
- Extensive history, as a founder of the Northern Venice himself, Peter I, took part in the development of a project which celebrated the country’s victory in the fight for the access to the Baltic Sea.
- Worldwide fame due to the unique fountain system.
- Architecture. Peterhof is considered to be the Pearl of the Russian Baroque.
For 200 years, Peterhof was a summer residence of Russian emperors and their families. The members of the imperial family spent the entire summertime in the shade of the trees there, and on the approach of the cold season, they came back to the city — to the Winter Palace.
The personal guide will take you to a one-hour excursion of the halls:
- Dance Hall. Magnificent decoration in Rococo style strikes with its beauty. You will find yourself in a room for celebrations designed by architect Rastrelli, among mirrors, gold-coated wreaths, patterned parquet, and snow-white walls.
- Throne Hall. You will see another solemn room, full of light and gold. The modern look of the Throne Hall in the Classicism style was on the project of Yuri Felton. The central focus is on the eastern wall, in front of which there is a throne.
- White Dining Room. The room in the Classicism style is unique as it has no paintings on the walls. Bas-reliefs on the walls, stoves in the traditional Russian style, and a faience dinner set became the decoration of the Dining Room.
- Chinese Cabinet. The hall is in the popular Chinoiserie style. Lacquer screens are their main decorations. All elements are of the same style — pentagonal doorways, ceilings, window jambs.
- Dressing Room. One of the private women’s rooms is in the Rococo style. The highlight is its walls covered with silk and a portrait of Elizaveta Petrovna — one of the best in the Palace collection.
- Oak Cabinet. They have managed to preserve the interior of the room almost unchanged since the XVIII century. The main features of the study are the carvings and furniture items preserved till nowadays — chairs and armchairs.
During the next hour, you’ll have a walk through the parks of Peterhof, where there are more than 200 fountains. Their water circulation systems have been working since the time of Peter the Great.
In the Lower Park you will see the most famous attractions:
- Grand Cascade. One of the largest fountain systems not only in Russia but in the world built in front of the Palace in 1735
- Samson Fountain
- Russian palaces of the XVIII century — Monplaisir and the Hermitage
- Adam Fountain
- Chess Mountain Fountain
- Pyramid Fountain
- The Sun Fountain
If you travel with children, we will make an extra stop at the Umbrella and Fir-trees joke-fountains
The Joke-fountains are the fountains hidden in landscape elements, they are activated when a person approaches them and steps on a special stone or randomly in particular hours during the day. Naturally, the main task of such a fountain is to wet the passers-by, which is a reason for delight and surprise for more than 300 years.
The Upper Park was initially thought of by Peter as a household area. After the emperor’s death, the beds and fruit trees were taken out, and fountains, summer houses, and tidy paths began to appear.
You will have walk-ons along symmetrically located paths, all of them decorated with graceful sculptural compositions.
After the excursion, a comfortable personal car will take you directly to the hotel doors.
To book a tour or ask a question, please fill out the form below.
Make sure that you have correctly written your current email. We will contact you as soon as possible.
2 hours – road time
1 hour – palace
2 hours – parks
- Hotel Pick-Up
- Entrance fees
- 3-hour Guided Tour
- Hotel Drop-Off