Catherine Palace and Peterhof full-day private tour it is a great opportunity to see the best summer imperial residences at once. Peterhof is a Russian Versailles which is famous for its fountains located in a picturesque park on the shores of the Gulf of Finland. The Catherine Palace attracts millions of tourists every year with…
- Trip Outline
- Tour Includes
- Tour Excludes
Catherine Palace and Peterhof full-day private tour it is a great opportunity to see the best summer imperial residences at once.
Peterhof is a Russian Versailles which is famous for its fountains located in a picturesque park on the shores of the Gulf of Finland.
The Catherine Palace attracts millions of tourists every year with its famous Amber room and an impressive landscape park.
Our private tour includes skip-the-line tickets which will help you to avoid a two-hour queue for each museum, moreover, a personal English-speaking guide will immerse you in the atmosphere of 18th-century imperial Russia and tell you about the traditions and events of a bygone era.
History of palaces
The Catherine Palace is a former imperial palace, the official summer residence of three Russian monarchs – Catherine I, Elizabeth Petrovna and Catherine II. The palace is located 26 km south of the center of St. Petersburg. The building was founded in 1717 by order of the Russian Empress Catherine I and it was named after the Empress. During the 18th century, it was rebuilt several times and its modern form represents a late Baroque style. In Soviet times a museum was opened in the palace.
Peterhof is a county residence of Russian tsars on the southern shore of the Gulf of Finland, 29 kilometers to the west of St. Petersburg.
The grand opening of Peterhof took place on August 15, 1723.
The author, who determined the basis of the composition of the architectural ensemble, was Peter I. According to his plan, on the one hand, Peterhof was supposed to be compared in magnificence with the most famous royal residences in Europe, and on the other hand, to become a triumphal monument of the successful completion of the struggle of Russia for access to the Baltic Sea.
The fountains had an essential role to play in the design of the complex, Peter I himself led their design and construction. The tsar invited the best masters of fountain business and engineers from Russia and European countries to carry out his plans.
In the morning of the first day of the tour, your guide will meet you in the hotel lobby and you will get a Mercedes car with a personal driver, then you will go to Peterhof Palace. In Peterhof you will go to the building of the Grand Palace without passing through the huge lines. There you will have an opportunity to appreciate the luxury and atmosphere that surrounded Peter the Great three centuries ago.
A visit to the palace lasts about an hour after that you will go to the Lower Park with the famous fountains, the jewel of which is a large Cascade. In the center of this fountain complex, there is a fountain depicting Samson tearing the lion’s jaws. Up next, we have a picturesque walk along the Gulf of Finland with lunch at a restaurant located right in the park.
After that, a personal driver will take you to the city of Pushkin, where the Catherine Palace is located. Here for an hour, you can admire the impressive thematic halls made in the style of Catherine’s baroque decorated with paintings and gold. There is also the famous amber room – a gift from King of Prussia to Peter the First.
Within an hour you can see the beauty of one of the best landscape parks in Europe. After such a busy day a personal driver in a comfortable car will take you directly to your hotel or any other places that you specify.
Why do you need to book this tour?
Peterhof and the Catherine Palace are the best country summer imperial residences. This visit helps to get a better understanding of the history and spirit of the Russian Empire of the 18th century and you will have an opportunity to appreciate the impressive architecture of those times.
Benefits of this tour
- A personal driver and skip the line tickets will save a huge amount of your time that you can spend on relaxation or other visits.
- You don’t have to choose between the imperial residences and compare which one is better – visit both.
- Personal tour guide will make your visit exciting and informative – you will have a better understanding of the mysterious Russian soul.
- Both residences are on the Must Visit Place list – a win-win option confirmed by millions of tourists from all over the world
When ordering this tour with us you can be sure that everything will be at the highest level. Our guides annually pass certification for the right to conduct excursions in these museums and our many years of experience allows us to create the ideal route that will make your stay in St. Petersburg as efficient and casual as possible.
Advice and recommendations
- Please pay attention that Monday is the day off in Peterhof, and in Catherine’s Palace it’s Tuesday.
- You can absolutely free of charge add to this tour a visit to the most beautiful metro stations. To do this you need to just write when you book the tour that you would like to have a metro tour. In this case, the tour starts half an hour earlier and you will go down the metro on the way from the hotel to Peterhof. At the Narvskaya metro station, you will have time to look around then you will see the Kirovsky Zavod and Avtovo which are ones of the most beautiful metro stations in the world. And right after your driver will pick you up at the metro exit to take you to Peterhof.
- From October 14 fountains are turned off in Peterhof until spring. It becomes a little less attractive and much more affordable – there are three times less tourists.
- This is a very eventful visit and in spite of a comfortable personal car and a guide that will help you to avoid common mistakes – at the end of the day you are most likely to get tired. This is not the best day to plan significant events for the evening, for example, viewing the opening of the bridges
- There are squirrels in Peterhof. If you want to feed them you can give them nuts with your hands – make sure you have the nuts in advance.
- Shooting without a flash is allowed everywhere except the amber room. Charge your cameras – there will be many beautiful shots.
This tour is suitable for people who want to visit the most interesting classical sights of St. Petersburg without experiencing disappointment and without wasting time
This is a very busy program, so we can recommend booking a short half-hour tour of the most beautiful stations of the St. Petersburg metro at the beginning of the tour on the way to Peterhof. It is absolutely free and very interesting. You can rest or visit a good restaurant in the evening. We will be happy to help you to choose the best place to dine out. We strongly recommend not visiting late performances/shows and viewing opening of bridges after this tour.
To book a tour or ask a question, please fill out the form below.
Make sure that you have correctly written your current email. We will contact you as soon as possible.
10 a.m. departure from the hotel to Peterhof
11.20 a.m. entrance to the Grand Palace
12.20 - 2.30 p.m. walk in the lower park + lunch in the park
2.40 - 3.40 p.m. road to Pushkin
4 p.m. Entrance to the Catherine Palace
5.20 - 6.00 p.m. Walk in the park
7 p.m. Return to the city
- Personal driver
- Personal tour guide
- Skip the line tickets to Peterhof Palace and Lower park
- Skip the line tickets to Catherine Palace, Amber Room & Park
- Lunch in the lower park
- Tips to your guide and driver
- 10I booked Catherine Palace and Peterhof private tour for me and my girlfriend last month. PetersburgExpert was easy to deal with via email. They responded promptly and answered all questions fully. The guide picked us up at the hotel and took to the Pushkin. We didn't have to wait in any queue. Everything went smoothly. After Catherine Palace, we had lunch in a lovely restaurant with wonderful Russian cuisine. Then we visited the Peterhof Palace and walked a little by the park. It was one of the most professional private tours that I had ever had. We're very grateful to all the people who attended us.
- StartEndGroup (Min-Max)Pricing
If you book a standard tour on a date that is available then the confirmation of the reservation comes automatically. We try to respond to custom tour inquiry and any questions right away. If we do not have time to answer you within 15 minutes during working hours, you will receive a 5% discount on the total amount of the tour cost.
We are always ready to return the full cost of the tour, in case of cancellation, with the exception of the costs that we made. Therefore, If you cancel the tour with 14 days in advance, we will give you a full refund. For a week or less - individually depending on the tour. In case of cancellation of the tour in less than 3 days, we return 40% of the cost.
By default, we accept 100% payment of tours, as it is generally convenient for everyone. If necessary, you can write to us that you want to pay in part. This is usually not a problem. You can pay the rest on cash in rubles on the first day of excursions.
Yes, all our tours are 100% customizable. By default, we select the perfect tour program verified by thousands of our tourists, but if you have any specific requests, we will take them into account and change them for you. In order to send a request for a custom tour - write to us by mail or make a phone call or fill out and send the form at the end of the description of the tour.
We have really great experience in organizing excursions in St. Petersburg. When assessing the quality of our work, we rely on the feedback of more than 7 thousand tourists who were satisfied with their trip. We organize 100% private tours, while many of our competitors, especially those who working through universal tour aggregators, often cannot guarantee the fact that the tour will be individual and instead of a private car, you will have a minivan with other tourists who are no less surprised and distressed than you.
In addition, our guides will never take you to the souvenir/gift shop, unless you ask them for it. While at present, most of the guides working in other agencies consider it their duty to forcefully bring their tourists to the souvenir shop and earn commissions. Despite the fact that for us this is unconditionally unacceptable and obviously extremely disrespectful to the guests of our city - the situation on the tourism market is just that. Therefore, if you are serious about making your trip go without disappointment, it is worth making an effort to find quality services. Our goal is not just to sell you a tour, but we want to make your stay in St. Petersburg excellent, therefore we are very attentive to the details, and we constantly improve and refine our products.
Yes, both museums are open all year round. Only Peterhof fountains do not work from mid-October to mid-May.
The Hermitage is the winter residence of the Russian emperors and it is one for all the rulers. And Peterhof is the first summer residence and there are several residences like this- all of them are located outside the city and each emperor built something special for himself.
This tour is not available on Monday and Tuesday because Monday is a day off in Peterhof and Tuesday is a day off in the Catherine’s Palace.